Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sverige kommer alltid att ha en bit av mitt hjärta

Moving on to the "and..." portion of this blog, I'm going to start off with my affinity for a certain country. One that I have family ties to, family history in and fell in love with.

For those of you who don't speak the language, the title of this one is "Sweden will always have a piece of my heart". (At least that's what I hope it says. Since my Swedish isn't quite up to par, Google Translate had to help me on this one).

5 years ago I fell in love with this Scandinavian gem. I'd always known I had some Swedish in my blood - my Nana's father (my dad's mother's father) was more or less straight off the boat (may have been 1st generation American born). It's in part where I get my fair skin and awesomely blue eyes from. But 5 years ago, I was able to join my mother's side of the family on a trip I will never forget to find out a bit more about their "ties" to Sweden.

It turns out that my Grandpa's dad (my mom's dad's dad), was a merchant sailor back in the early 1900's. He was traveling on the merchant ship the Macona off the coast of Sweden back in January of 1920, when a severe storm came through and caught the ship on a reef not far off the coast. Ironically enough this date was January 17th, what would become my birthday 64 years later. As you can imagine, winter weather off the coast of Sweden is not all that pleasant, even when there is no storm. When the ship got stuck on the reef Nidingarna, because he was already wet, my great-grandfather opted to take a second watch on deck for the night. This decision ultimately saved his life. On January 18th the ship sunk from the wrath laid upon it by the incoming storm because it could not get off the reef. My great-grandfather was found the following day lashed to the mast post barely staying above the frigid waters. He was the only survivor.

The story of the Macona sinking is very common knowledge in this area of Sweden, especially in the little fishing village mere miles from the wreck site, the same village that sent out rescue crews in 1920 to try to help the sailors of the Macona. 5 years ago, a Swedish journalist named Krister Svahn decided to do a story on this historic event (he lived in that same little fishing village, and his grandfather had been a part of the rescue crew sent out to the site). Krister began doing research, and came across my grandfather's name, which was the same as my great-grandfather's. A few phone calls here a few there, and half the family is on a plane across the Atlantic to trace our history in this Swedish city.

Once in Sweden, Krister interviewed my grandfather and then proceeded to show us all the sites in the area that were tied to this wreck. The hotel we stayed in in Göteborg was where my GGP stayed while acting on behalf of the shipping company after the wreck. We visited the various churches and cemeteries where the sailors had been buried, we visited the home of a crazy old man who had refinished the ship's name plate after it washed up on the shoreline of his property, and Krister arranged for the Sea Rescue crew to take us out to the spot of the wreck.It was amazing. The article featured, for the first time, the American side of the story from the mouth of the survivor's family, as well as a bit about how the entire family came over to learn about what had happened.

After this trip, I was hooked on Sweden. The country was beautiful. The people were amazingly friendly and helpful (and not to mention easy on the eyes - I've never seen so many beautiful people in one place! Case and point the Swedish National Soccer Team - note the successful tie in of boys and sports). Immediately after returning Stateside, when I wasn't rooting for the US in the World Cup, I was rooting for Sweden. When I got to Seattle last summer, I was ecstatic to find that Freddie Ljungberg (captain of the '06 Swedish National Team ... and former Calvin Klein underwear model - Google him ladies, it'll be worth it) was playing for the Sounders. I went to a game and bought his jersey in mid-July - of course that means he was traded to following week to Chicago, and then jumped back to Europe to play in the Scottish Premier League in December. I tried to find anything that could bring me back to Sweden. I even thought about quitting my job and becoming a Contiki Tour Guide. (Don't ask, it was a weird phase in my life.)

I also decided after that trip I would somehow learn Swedish (their English was soooooo good!). And I am making good on that promise. My Rosetta Stone for Swedish came in the mail a week and a half ago, and I'm plugging away on my 3rd lesson in Level 1. It's a little trickier than when I learned Spanish, but I'll get there. Don't ask me what practical use this will have other than making me happy for the time being, or being able to watch the "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" movies without having to utilize the English sub-titles, because I don't know yet but I don't care either. I'm doing something I enjoy - learning - and immersing myself in a culture I've fallen in love with.

Until next time, I'll be enjoying my life of books, boys, sports and..., and I hope you'll be enjoying whatever it is that makes your life happy.

I couldn't resist posting a picture of Freddie... he's just too yummy not to include. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment